Typical Causes of Adrenal Disfunction
The changes that take place in your body from any number of acute illnesses to many chronic diseases place demands on your adrenals to produce the energy you need to keep functioning day to day. Therefore, as a general rule, if you have a chronic illness and morning fatigue is one of your symptoms, your adrenals are likely stressed to some degree. Also, anytime a medical treatment includes the use of corticosteroids, like prednisone, adrenal function may be affected. All corticosteroids are designed to imitate the actions of cortisol, a hormone secreted by the adrenals, and so the need for them arises primarily when the adrenals are not able to provide the needed amounts of cortisol. Here is a small list of illnesses that can chronically stress your adrenals:
- Alcohol or Drug Abuse and Addiction
- Autoimmune Disease – Lupus, Rheumatoid, Sjogren’s, etc.
- Syndrome X – (Diabetes, Obesity, Abnormal Cholesterol together)
- Chronic or Recurrent Infections – Herpes, HIV, Hepatitis C, Yeast
- Dental Problems
- Diabetes, Hypoglycemia
- Fibromyalgia ??? – metabolic imbalances are really the cause of this!!!
- Food Allergies – Celiac Disease / Gluten enteropathy (wheat intolerance)
- Hormone Imbalance – PMS, Menopause
- Sleep Disorders